Monday, April 6, 2009

Blogging Prompt #13: Expertise

Several bloggers take advantage of common subjects to post about, known as a Blogging Prompt. This 13th edition asks one to talk about an area of expertise one might have. Well, my area is quite unique, I must say.

It's been said (by someone, I'm sure) that everyone is an expert on something. As luck and Murphy would have it, my area of expertise is on such an important topic as dog poop.

You heard me right. Dog poop.

When I adopted Izzie almost three years ago, he wound up being sick. On his second day home with me, he was pooping blood. I won't describe the rest of the poop's appearance; suffice it to say it wasn't what I expected to see even coming out the other end of this cutie pie. Over the course of the next six months we (me and his vet and the internist vet at the Specialty Center) poked, prodded and scoped my poor baby from both ends and determined that he had Inflammatory Bowel Disease (IBD). We tried to manage it with diet. As many a child had said in a sick kind of game, "Diarrhea Diarrhea....". We tried managing it with low doses of metronidazole (basically, flagyl), which helped his poop. But he was still tossing food out his mouth, so we added prednisone. Two and a half years later, he's stable on the two meds and a Royal Canin hypoallergenic diet.

So, if any of you genealogists have any questions about dog poop, I urge you to ask me. Go ahead, make my day!

1 comment:

Miriam Robbins said...

It's always nice to know to whom to turn when an emergency arises! I'll keep you in mind...! ;-)