Sunday, July 10, 2011

What Have I Been Up To?


Besides working and continuing to settle into my house, I have, actually, squeezed in some research, too.  A cousin of mine sent me a link to a databank of newspaper articles from all over Pennsylvania.
http://www.accesspadr.org/cdm4/search.php?CISOROOT=/wbsunind
This site has been a gold mine of information for me. I not only have learned names and dates of people on my tree (I even confirmed the family of my maternal great-grandmother from an obituary I'd found!), I have been given a few glimpses into the lives and personalities of some of my ancestors.Thanks, Pat for sharing this site with me!

After finding numerous articles, obituaries and advertisements containing many of my common surnames (Doyle, McHugh, O'Rourke, Kelly, Hodick, to name a few) I began wondering if I'd be able to find a comparable site for my Western New York research. Thanks to Charley Berry Grabowski, of "Apple's Tree", I was able to research the paper of my hometown, The Niagara Gazette. Articles from this newspaper were included in the databanks available at the site below:
http://www.fultonhistory.com/Fulton.html     
In the months to come I'll share here some of the things I have learned through my ongoing searches of these newspapers. If anything rings a bell or strikes you as interesting, feel free to comment here!

2 comments:

Nancy said...

I have plenty of Pennsylvania ancestors. Thanks for this link. I hope I will find some of them there.

my Heritage Happens said...

Oh thanks Colleen! I have a couple ancestors from Pa. also! Look forward to hearing more about your finds!